- 1 lb. chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 thumb-sized fresh ginger root, cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 spear pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. patis (fish sauce)
- salt, to taste
- 4 to 5 cups water (or rice water – 2nd washing)
- 2 to 3 sayote (chayote squash), quartered (or green, unripe papaya or potatoes)
- 2 cups malunggay
1. Heat oil in suace pan over medium heat. Sauté ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add onions, stir-fry until softened and translucent.
2. Add chicken cuts. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until chicken colors slightly. Season with patis and salt.
3. Pour in water (or rice water, if using). Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer until chicken is half-done. Add in chayote (or papaya or potatoes, if using) and spear pepper. Continue simmering until chicken and vegetable are tender. Correct seasonings and stir to combine until well blended. Remove from heat.
4. Then add malunggay. Let stand for a few minutes and transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.
Enjoy the hearty healthy hot meal:)